Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
10 as it is written:
“None is righteous, no, not one;
11no one understands;
no one seeks for God.”
1 Peter 1:16
since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned–every one–to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.
“She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:21
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
pray without ceasing,
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. 29 For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
We have a challenge for you in the new year! As a body, we will be memorizing 2 passages of scripture each month that focus on a particular facet of the Christian life.
This is both a practical way to grow in your walk and also fulfill a command found in scripture itself.
In order to have a bit of fun with this as well, a bounty has been placed on the head of several members of leadership (see below). There is a deadline for each passage. If you ask one of the targets to recite a verse whose deadline has already passed and they are unable to, you must then say the verse from memory to cash in on the bounty. A grand prize has been donated to go to the person who collects the most bounties in 2022. Following any successful bounty, please text 94000 with the target’s name. The winner will be announced in January 2023 and will be able to select their prize from the following: 1 Chick-fil-A sandwich per week for a year, 1 DQ Blizzard every week for a year, or 5 Reformation Study Bibles.
The verse schedule will be revealed on January 1. If you would like to receive updates along with different mnemonic devices and other memory techniques along the way, text “MEMORY” to 94000.
How to Play
- Memorize the verses listed above throughout the year. You will need to be able to say both the verse itself and the reference from memory without assistance. Any translation may be used (ESV used for verse list).
- After a verse’s deadline has passed, it is available to use as a challenge verse. For example, starting 2/1/2021, both Psalm 119:18 and Romans 3:23 are available.
- Find one of the target individuals listed below in person (preferably while they are awake, not at the dentist, or involved in public speaking).
- Ask them to say an available verse of your choice.
- If they are able to say it correctly, you may ask them up to two more available passages in this setting before giving up.
- If they are unable to say one of the verses, you must then recite it correctly from memory.
- If you are able to do so, text the name of the target and the verse used to 94000. You may not use this same combination more than once.
- After your message is received, a point will be added to your name on the scoreboard.
- The person with the most points on 12/31/2022 will be announced as the winner in January 2023 and will be instructed on how to claim their prize.
- If our targets successfully defend off all attempts throughout the year, everyone who successfully recites all 24 passages to any of the targets by 1/15/2023 will be entered in drawing to decide the winner.